Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Contain Myself

Building blocks that I've often depended on.
(photo by Art Durand Photography)

Contain Myself
2/7/11

Periodically over near 57 years
I've found that hopes, dreams,
not rooted in realistic estimation
of what can possibly be done,
by me amid surrounding circumstances,
often convey how I overextend
in regards to finance, relationship,
projects at home wanting accomplishment,
arrogantly thinking how I'm capable
just by waving hand with bravado
as if all is destined to happen
because of innate intelligence, energy,
gumption, that's certain to pull it off,
until building block here, there,
is shown to be an illusion,
perhaps once having real substance
but now, due to neglect, it fails
while intangible passionate desire fades,
only appearing in shadows of past
memories of how I used to be,
within disconcerting personal pattern
Life again gives me renewed chance
for evaluation with discerning eyes,
what capacity I have as older man
hopefully wiser from repeated experiences,
to joyfully contain myself through daily living.

No comments: